Friday, April 4, 2014

Man cave take over part 2

So while I was doing the dresser for the man cave, I was also working on a really cool night stand as well. The best part is it was FREE!!!!! I was going for a run in the morning and saw that one of my neighbors had this on the curb. I saw it, thought it was cool and kept running. For the entire two miles I could not stop thinking about this night stand. Yes it needed work, but it was too cool to pass up. So  after my run, I hopped in my truck, drove down the road, and threw it in the back of my explorer. It needed help. It was obvious that it was in a child's room because there were crayons in one of the drawers and someone played tic-tac-toe on the side in permanent marker! (YIKES). Oh yeah, and there were holes on the top, and no knobs. But I knew that I could save it.

 This was the tacky, original color. 
Here you can see the holes on the top of the night stand. 

First I sanded it down enough to remove the top coat. I then filled the holes with wood filler. Since the holes went right through I taped a piece of card board under the top, then filled the holes. After it was dry I removed the card board and lightly sanded the top so it would be an even surface. 

These are the drawers with the primer on them. The details on these drawers was one of the main reasons I decided to take it. I let the primer sit over night. I then painted with several coats of a high gloss spray paint. After a day or two, I applied a high gloss top coat. 


This is without the knobs. 
I went to check out knobs at Lowe's and found the perfect ones. They were a little pricey for my liking but the night stand was free so I was willing to splurge on the knobs. 




The detail on these drawers just gives the whole night stand some charm.

I have to say that this night stand came a really long way and it was so worth it! 

Thanks for checking out my blog and please check back every Friday for a new post.
-And remember, anyone can DIY. You just have to be willing to give it a try!



No comments:

Post a Comment