Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Pallet board buffet table

I am really into grilling and like to eat outside. Now that I have an awesome patio set, I wanted to have more meals outside since the weather is warmer. When I have guests over, I sometimes like to serve the food buffet style; set out the food and let them grab what they want. I didn't want the table we eat at to be cluttered with plates and dishes while we are trying to eat. So I decided I would make a buffet table! I used the pallets that I had left over from my pallet board table top. 
The top of the buffet table was already together. I just had to add one board in the center. After that
I attached the four legs. I did not want a wobbly table, so I added more support beams. I then added six pieces at the bottom to act as shelves. I did not fill up the entire bottom because I did not want to make the table heavier.
TIP: Whenever I nail pieces together I first use wood glue, then hammer and put something heavy on top while the glue sets. I do this to ensure that whatever I make will be sturdy.  

After I had the table assembled, I sanded it down with a 60 grit sand paper. I made my own stain with a steel wool and vinegar. I will create a post on how to do this  as well. I took a rag and applied the stain. 

If you are making something and know that you are going to stain, I recommend first staining the pieces and then assembling. This ensures that you get every nook and cranny. 

 The stain immediately reacted with the wood. It came out a gorgeous brown! After I was done staining I applied a spray poly.


I have my tin can lanterns at the top, and chic coasters at the bottom of my gorgeous buffet table adorned with my burlap banner!

Thanks for checking out my blog and please check back every Friday for a new post.
-And remember, anyone can DIY. You just have to be willing to give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment