Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Shabby chic pallet head baord

This is one of my favorite pallet projects I've done so far...actually I'm not sure that I have a favorite because I'm obsessed with all of them! But anyway, this one required only several cuts. I started out with two pallets but cut one in half. I used the other half to make a wine rack.

This is before I cut the pallet. I used the support blocks from another pallet so the head frame would sit higher up (that's what's in front of the pallets.

One of my neighbors is moving and had a whole bunch of stuff on the curb to be thrown away. I had to go see what I could "rescue". The beams that you see leaning against the wall is what I grabbed from my neighbors junk pile. Those are the beams that go across the bottom of a bed frame to support the mattress.

Lucky for me they fit perfectly in between my pallet boards!

This is one of the Heat Treated symbols you need to look for when choosing pallets. I'll do a whole other post on how to chose pallets.

One of my friends came over to help me with this project. In this picture she already sanded them down. But before that, I simply took my extra pieces of wood, filled the gaps, glued, nailed, and cut. 

I left three gaps at the top half because I wanted to create shelves. I wanted my headboard to serve a functional purpose. 

After she sanded the pallets down, I made my own decoupage mixture and used it to line the top of the pallets and the shelves as well with napkins from the Dollar tree. I even decoupaged the beam at the bottom that will raise the pallets up.


I lined some of the inside with a vinyl adhesive that I got from the Dollar tree for another project. 


I then painted the pallets with a chalk paint that I also made myself. I applied two coats. I then stenciled PARIS FRANCE and 75017 (Paris zip code).

I added two hooks for my mason jars candles which I decorated. I pre drilled the holes in the pallet and then screwed the hooks in.

I made sure that the outlet was still accessible so we could plug up our phones at night.


The head board is not permanently mounted to the wall. My husband and I simply pushed the bed up against the pallet as much as we could.

I'm so happy with how it came out. This was a simple and cheap project! And the best part is that no else has one just like it : )

Thanks for checking out my blog and please check back every Friday for a new post.
-And remember, anyone can DIY. You just have to be willing to give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment