Sunday, May 4, 2014

Pallet board table top


This is a table that one of my neighbors had on the curb to be thrown away along with six wicker chairs that were still in good condition. I wanted a patio set so I was determined to save it! It originally had a glass top that was broken in one corner. While my husband and I were loading it into my truck it came off (which worked out for us!)


The first thing I did was clean it up then paint it black with a high gloss paint.


Here my dad and I are measuring how long the support beams need to be. 



We took apart the pallet boards two ways. The first way was using my Dad's Dremel multitool. We also took a hammer and banged out some of the boards that were attached with staples not nails. The Dremel cut right through the staples and nails. I wanted to leave some of them in for "character".


After we took apart the pallets we laid the pieces that we wanted on top of the table. We put an X on the side of the boards that we were going to cut off. 

Taking measurements for the table top.

Support beams running horizontal.

After we made our cuts we used wood glues to secure the top boards to the support beams. We also needed the support beams so that the table top would be flush with the metal table.

I stenciled our last name "LUCKY" and the year we were married.


I then used a deck stain because it stains and seals it. I chose a redwood stain. I like this color because you can still see the detail in the wood. These are the chairs that I also saved. 

 Check out my post on how to make these lovely tin can lanterns!

Thanks for checking out my blog and please check back every Friday for a new post.
-And remember, anyone can DIY. You just have to be willing to give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment